Friday, May 16, 2008

Ray's Best Friend

Those of you who know Rayden know that his best friend has always been his blanket. Since he was a baby he took it everywhere with him. He wouldn't and still won't go to bed without it. I made his blanket when I was expecting Lexi but she would have nothing to do with it. Rayden fell in love with it and has rarely been seen without it since. Many of you have seen it lately and know that it resembles a rag more than a blanket lately, see below picture. The ruffle, or tail as Ray calls it, is a complete seperate piece now. He still has it in his room! Pieces of the material have torn off and the pieces that are still there are worn almost all the way through. Many people have given me suggestions on how to get rid of his blanket but I just can't do it! I can't look him in the eyes and tell him the end has come. I did receive one bit of advice that I have tried now. I let Rayden go to the store with me and pick out some new material. I then took it home and made a cover for his blanket. The first day Ray couldn't wait for me to get it finished but I hadn't bought enough material so I had to go back for more the next day. Yeah, that was a big mistake. He wanted nothing to do with it anymore. So blanket stayed as a rag for the last month.
Yesterday after his nap Rayden came walking upstairs with his 'rag' and his new blanket. He told me I needed to put blanket inside his new one. I asked if he wanted it stuck in there and he told me yes so it wouldn't fall apart anymore. HALELUJAH! Needless to say I didn't waste a minute and I started to tack it in. I did leave one side open on the new blanket so he could tell his old one was still there. In about a week I will probably sew it up and the transition will be complete. Ray had a little anxiety last night but I think he is going to be okay, I hope! So below are 2 pictures. One is a before and the next is after with Rayden.

Isn't this thing beautiful?

Notice the trains. Rayden is in heaven!

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I loved that blanket, but the new one is darling too. And I think Ray will love it.

I love watching him drive that barbie car around...somehow he still makes it manly.

Guymon Family said...

Wow, isn't it amazing how our children can come up with awesome ways to deal with their issues. They are so darn smart (and moms of course too.) Way to go Ray!