I set out yesterday evening to get my hair done with my sister-in-law on the other end of the valley. It was a little windy but beautiful and hot. I called Dirk about 10 minutes before I was leaving to let him know I was on my way home when he told me to look outside and drive VERY carefully. Amanda and I had no clue it had started raining and that it was so bad. We made a mad dash for our cars and I kept thinking I had seen worse. Driving through Logan was not bad at all, just lots of rain. I didn't even panic when I saw lightning strike over and over and over. Or when said lightning killed the power in North Logan. The sky worried me a bit in Smithfield. I literally felt like I was driving into the belly of the beast! I kept thinking about all the storms that accompany tornadoes and how much worse the sky looked here! About halfway between Hyde Park and Smithfield is when panic set in. The storm was so much worse all of the sudden. The highway was way flooded and I was all of the sudden not sure if I was going to make it home. I don't know if I have ever prayed so hard in my life! It was the scariest thing not knowing how much worse it could get. I kept telling myself it was all uphill from where I was at and that it would get better. I really wish I had been driving the truck instead of the car. I would have felt safer. I did get to a point where I didn't feel like I was driving through a lake but the water current was horrible. I feel so lucky to have made it home ok! Here is a picture I stole from my friend's blog. I live just around the corner you can see. Major river action going on!
Dirk and I were very lucky not to have to worry about flooding like our neighbors. The kids did leave our back door open and we got a lot of water in the house but Dirk was able to clean it up with a few towels. We were lucky. Some of our neighbors windows shattered and the water poured in. I heard there were a couple homes with water to their knees. I guess Smithfield was declared a disaster zone last night and I believe it whole heartedly. We are so blessed, though, to have a wonderful Emergency Disaster Plan in place in our area. There were people everywhere checking on neighbors and helping those who needed it. It is very comforting to know that we can all band together when things get bad!

5 comments:
Max
If you noticed I mentioned the morning rain that was gentle and cleansing. I am sorry you were out in last night's storm As it got worse I couldn't but think if we would have a harvest this year. Next time I will be more specific in my Treasured Tuesdays. The flooding looked scary!
Too funny! I LOVED last night's storm...It's about time we got a half way decent one! lol Im an odd ball and Tornado season for the 14 years I lived in Kansas was my favorite! My mom and I would pop some popcorn and go sit on the front porch!!! haha. Ever since I was like 4 we've done that!
One storm when the hail was a good softball size, my dad put a bike helmet on, and my brother, a pot..they went out in it...my poor brother didn't think and had ringing in his ears for a long time! haha & I loved when the creek behind our house would flood over into the yard....we had a nature made slip n slide! haha.. my family is nuts though, and we are storm lovers...the bigger..the better! The thunder that shakes your pictures on the walls and the lightening that is brighter than all your lights turned on is the BEST! Total adrenaline RUSH! BUT, I am glad I didn't have to drive...as long as I am home, with a blanket and watching...Im definately enjoying it! Glad you got home safe!
Yah! That was pretty CRAZY!
wow - we had some kind of mini hurricane here on Wed! it didn't last long, but was a bit scary while it did. However, it took out our power at work and we got out early!
I'm glad you were okay. My parents basement got flooded and all my mom's flowers were ruined. Crazy how quickly it all came on.
Post a Comment