Friday, February 4, 2011

3 R’s

I have the best husband in the world! It is Dirk's slow season at work. He still works from 8am-6pm during the day, comes home to eat, play with the kids, and help put them to bed; then he goes back to work from 9pm-12am. He does this 3 days a week and then works 8am-6pm the other two days. Even with this crazy schedule he found time to make this for his boys:
One of Dirk's many jobs at work is to make all of the displays that we send out to customers. A couple of displays came out of our outlet store that were old and falling apart and Dirk was told to just throw them away. Instead he reused them and some other odds and end pieces to make the bed. He made it over a weekend and his boys absolutely LOVE it. Since we put it up in their room Simon has gone to bed sooooo much easier. He calls his bed his house. The railing is his window.Rayden feels so big being on the top bunk! Sometimes he is in a good mood and allows Simon to climb up and play for awhile.
Dirk is also working on another project for their room. We took apart the two sides to our entertainment system and moved them to the boys' room. They fit perfectly on either side of their window and they are already black so I don't have to paint them. Dirk is going to build a desk to connect the two shelves and also a shelf on the top to give it a more built-in look. When it is done I will post more pics.
So when that project is done I am going to create a sign in vinyl that I think fits the room perfectly.
I know the saying is 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle', but I think I am going to change it to say, 'Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle.' I'm going to cut the words out and place them in each arrow. I think it works. I am so excited to see the finished room.While Dirk has been busy with wood projects I have been working a few of my own. I pulled Simon's old car seat out of storage and decided that it just wasn't girly enough for Kynlee, so I made a new cover. It is far from perfect and I still have to make the canopy but I was pretty impressed with myself.

I've never done a sewing project without a pattern and I was scared to death the whole time I was working on this one. I'm going to keep the old car seat cover on underneath to make sure there is enough padding but now it is perfectly girly!

7 comments:

Hiatts said...

Those projects are awesome! I absolutly love the car seat, you amaze me!

Nicole Norris said...

The beds look amazing! The car seat is so dang cute. For not sewing much especially without a pattern it is very impressive.

Traci said...

I love the carseat cover! YOu are amazing! Can you make me one? JK!

Eileen said...

You are both so talented!

Unknown said...

Super cute car seat! Sweet bed! Seems fitting to have a log bed, for the monkeys to play on. :)

Hope things are going well for ya!

Mike & Ilse said...

I LOVE your carseat cover you made!!! That would cost so much in the store or to have someone else do it! Wow!!!

Patti and Ian said...

hey if you need a tutorial for the shade makeit-loveit.com has one that they just did.